Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Another Perspective

Greetings everyone!  Today I have decided to rewrite one of my blog posts from another perspective.  This blog I plan to rewrite is the one on gun shows.  However, instead of writing about the negative aspects of gun shows, I plan to try to find the positives of them.

One of the positives Heather Bonham mentions about gun shows are that customers “and the commerce they bring are certainly welcome” (“Gun show visitors weigh in on pros, cons of gun legislation”).  With the money brought into these towns, it helps the local economy increase, securing jobs for the town residents.  Also, it is a way for people to come together, have conversations, and get to meet new people who share similar interests.  Another positive aspect I had found with gun shows is the possibility that rare and/or antique weapons could be for sale that no gun shop could have for sale.  Gun shops that require background checks may not have the exact weapon that antique rifle collectors are looking for, while the gun show may be just the place to expand that collection.  A final positive aspect includes that a gun show salesman “turned down two prospective gun buyers this weekend because of unmet criteria — not being a Texas resident and having an expired driver’s license” (Bonham).  This clearly shows that salespeople at gun shows are willing to prevent some people from purchasing firearms and are not in it for the money. 

These are the only aspects that I can find from another perspective of the recent blog I wrote.  Many people who travel to gun shows believe that “they are not opposed to expanded background checks at gun shows to include all sales, but they do not believe adding more laws would have stopped the mass shootings” (Bonham).  Also, Richard Bardin mentions, “he doesn’t relish the extra paperwork or phone calls required to complete background checks, he is not against expanding the requirement to all gun sales at shows” (Bonham).  After reviewing the opposing side, I believe that while it is possible to write in that perspective, I feel that the arguments are not as strong as the ones stated in my previous blog.

Bonham, Heather.  “Gun show visitors weigh in on pros, cons of gun legislation.” Statesman.  Cox media group, 16 Apr. 2013.  Web.  15 Apr. 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment