Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Republican and NRA Views On Gun Control

Alright, here is what I believe are the pros and cons regarding the Republican Party's as well as the NRA's views on Gun Control.  I've decided to include these two separate groups in the same blog because they share similar beliefs.

The Republican party believes in America's 2nd amendment freedoms as well as its citizen's legal rights to practice self-defense.  They also believe Americans should not have to go through a long process in order to acquire ammunition in their house.  Another idea the Republicans share is the rejection of a nation-wide registration database for those who have legally purchased a firearm ("Republican Party on Gun Control").  I am in complete agreement with the Republicans that Americans should have the right to exercise self-defense.  Knowing that I don't have to feel helpless while waiting for armed police to show up if an intruder were to break into my house is a huge relief to me.  However, when someone is wanting to purchase large amounts of ammunition, that does set off some red flags.  Sure, that customer may be someone who likes to hunt game on hunting grounds or wants have ammunition stored to defend himself or herself, but how do we know that he/she isn't some mentally ill person who possibly wants to commit a shooting spree?  As to the rejection of a nation-wide registration database, I also am a bit unsure of the Republican's decision to reject this idea.  A federal-registration data base can really help out law enforcement personnel who are trying to solve a crime where guns were used, and a database like that can really make a difference.  

While the NRA has goals similar to that of the Republicans, the group also has some propositions that sound very effective.  NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre believes in the redesign of a "mental health system in this country that has completely and totally collapsed" (Whitney).  This is especially true when Craig Whitney states that the Navy Yard shooter displayed "clear signs of mental distress", expressing the importance of a "national database of these lunatics" ("Gun Control Advocates Should Heed NRA's Words").  Even with tighter gun controls, the Navy Yard shooter would still be able to obtain weapons he used because there was no information on a database that he was not mentally healthy.  It is nice to know that LaPierre is also a firm believer of applying "mandatory instant criminal background checks for every sale at every gun show" (Whitney).  While I may not know if sales at gun shows have as thorough background investigations as regular gun shops do, the same method for purchasing weapons from gun shops should be applied to gun shows so that criminals do not think that they can easily purchase a weapon there.  Craig Whitney also writes that some government officials are "beginning to take the issue of mental health care seriously" by supporting the Excellence in Mental Health Act, which would allow an "emergency 24-hour psychiatric" service ("Gun Control Advocates Should Heed NRA's Words").  If we were able to have congress approve this, many shootings would have been prevented and save the lives of many innocent people.  Its nice to know that the NRA is taking into account methods that could benefit both parties in congress as well as helping those who are experiencing hardship and feelings that could eventually drive them off the deep end and take out those frustrations on innocent people.

Hopefully, this goes to show that not one side is right or wrong, and that there must be a fine line between keeping Americans safe while allowing us to retain our freedoms.

"Republican Party on Gun Control."  On The Issues.  Jesse Gordon, 11 Oct. 2013.  Web.  5 Feb. 2014

"Gun Control Advocates Should Heed NRA's Words."  Milwaukee and Wisconsin Journal Sentinel.  2014 Journal Sentinel, Inc., 6 Oct. 2013.  Web.  5 Feb. 2014

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I like the idea of doing a political-position post on gun control laws. This will generate much discussion, hopefully most of it in a collegial sense!

    Here is one thing I wondered while reading this post: how many mass-shooters purchased their guns the legal way from gun shows? Why are gun shows so popular? And why would the laws be different from a gun show to a store? That would make for an interesting post, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am for self-defense. Especially with the household I live in, with my fiancé in the army, he wants me to be educated about weapons and gain all the experience I can. He always says that what he can- he will teach me. Seeing as I am very tiny I can see why he is concerned! PTSD plays into that too, but that's a whole different subject.
    I too would feel so much more comfortable knowing that I can defend myself if need be. What if you cant reach the phone to call 911 but your in arms reach of a gun, which would you go for?
    HOWEVER...Like you said with people buying huge amounts of ammo, I feel like people should have some sort of good standing in the community or with the law to be able to reap the benefits of personal defense.
    There are so many crazy people these days I feel like that's beyond fair and if you are purchasing for good reasons, why should you be worried about them investigating or further questioning you?
    It is very alarming to know people with such sick minds have such powerful weapons.

    ReplyDelete